Safety Tips during a power outage
During a Power Outage: Safety Tips
- Only use flashlights for emergency lighting, candles can cause fires.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Most food requiring refrigeration can be kept safely in a closed refrigerator for several hours. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours. A full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours.
- Turn off or disconnect appliances and other equipment in case of a momentary power “surge” that can damage computers and other devices. Consider adding surge protectors to electronics or have a licensed electrician install whole house surge protection.
- If you have an automatic generator, make sure you have fuel, and any debris is cleared around the generator.
- If you have a portable generator, make sure it is properly connected (installation by a licensed electrician) and NEVER run a portable generator inside a home or garage